1864

Dear Ma and Pa,

      Today General Sherman forced us to march through Georgia without any supplies. He told us if we wanted to eat, we took what we needed from the residents. We broke into any and all houses in our way. We marched for miles destroying everything we couldn't take with us. We freed every slave we came across. We were told to kill anyone who stood against us and we did just that. The rebels ran from us but refused to surrender. We took Atlanta quicker than i thought we would. We destroyed Georgia and left the rebels deeply hurt. We made them howl just like the general wanted. We struck a huge blow to the rebels. I believe the end to this horrid war is near. Atlanta gives us a huge advantage over the rebels. But I don't care. I just want to come home. I'm scared. I miss you guys. I feel I may not make it through this.


      Love,
             Herman

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1865 Blog:

1865 blog

1864 blog