1864 Blog: Fall of Atlanta and Sherman´s March to the Sea

Dear Pa,

Ma 3 year enlistment pereod is comin´ to a close, as it is for a lot of other Union soldiers. Heard dat 100,000 men have desided to go ahed and go home,but as much as I miss you, Harriet, and the kids, I think that I´m gonna stay and finish what I started here. We´ve suffered many casualties, nearly 65,000 sense the seven weeks after the beggining of May. People are startin´ to doubt ol´ Lincoln tho. God bless the poor man, I don´t know how he holds up amidst all this. 

Anyway, the other day I marched my troops into the city of Atlanta. It´s one of the few manyufacksuring hedquarters of the South and has a complex railroad depot too. It´s a miracle we were able to get into that big city so easily, heard all the troops had to evacuate the place after some costly battles. Wunce we took cuntrol of the city, we just started tramplin´ the whole dang city. We set houses aflame, ravaged plantations for food and supplies, and wreaked utter havoc on the hole place. After the hole city was behind us, we just kept barelling down towards the coast, leavin´ nutin´ but destruction and weeds in our wake.

Wow what a feeling, triumphantly marching toward the coast ripping a key confederate state apart like a hero. Slaves praised our names, rebels cursed ´em but whatever came our way, there was just no stopping us. I think this one´s gonna do a number on the South´s stinkin´ ol pride and dignity. Ha, guess there´s not much one can say when their whole state´s been pummeled. 

Man it felt guud to see those stinkin´ rebs like that! And boy was it necessary! We really needed that big win to get my fellow soldiers and northerners back on the bandwagon again. Yeah, I´m aboard the ol´ wagon now, reddy to ride it all the way to the finish line. I can only pray that this war will come to a conclusion soon and I´ll be able to march back home to you and the rest of my family, with a secure job, future, and a cuntry born anew.

Stay safe and send Harriet and the kids all my love.

Thomas Norton

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1865 Blog:

1865 blog

1864 blog