1863 letter

          Dear my beluved wife,

    I am soo sorry for the tragedi that just occured in our hometown Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. That 3 days batle was soo horific, especialy when on where we grew up. Day one started very innocently, but evolved into terror very quickly. It literaly started as a clash over shoes on the Northwest section of out town. When I heard this news, I was soo worrid for u and our luvly children when intense fighting took place as reinforceementss arrivied. The Union had to be pushed bac into our town, but they still held the high groundd by the end of da first day.
    The second and third day waz soo brutal and harsh. I am a field hospital orderly soo I waz just helping many injured soldiers. Once a soldier was wounded, medical personel on the battlefield would bandagee 'em up as fast as they could, gave whiskey to ease the wound and morphine. Then, they would be taken to the field hospital and seperated into 3 catergoriies morally wounded, slightly wounded, and surgical case. I helped out with everythin, and it was bloodyy as from wut I seen. There would be blood literally everywhere, on the ground, bed, and even on the surgical tools, which caused serious infectionsss. I heard dat theere waz 37,000 casualties in just the first 2 dayss alone, and that is devasatin to think about.
     I waz super busy over those 3 days, but all of dat didn't distracted me from bein anxious abut our familie, The injured men outnumber town's people 12 to 1, which is a lot to handle with. How are you right now? Are you feeling well after this terriefic battle that destroyed all of ourz childhod memories? How are the kids handling after seeing a punch of peeps die in front of their innocent eyes. However, this battle waz a Union victory. Ha! The crazy Confederacy that tried to attack us is now lost and split in half, especially aftur da Fall of Vicksburg that occured that day aftur da battle. We, da Union, now control the Mississippi River, which is grate! 
     Darlin I'm soo sorry I have to go now to serve for our own country, I miss u a lot and our kids that probably grown soo tall dat I can't even recognize. I apologize that war is brutal, but dis is fur da gud of da country and the nation. I know that you are strong, and a lot stronger aftur this battle. Take care of da kids for me and urself, too. Tell them I said "soory" for leaving them for dis time.

     I luv u,
   Frank Hill

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1865 Blog:

1865 blog

1864 blog