1862 Blog

Dear Father,

It is late September now. We had the most insane, bloody battle at Antietam the other day. It all started when dat General Lee decided to invade northern territory. But General McClellan was ready to rush when he came. Apparently he found Lee´s operational plans wrapped around 3 ol cigars! Ha! Crazy aint it?! So then we ended up in this place, around like the West Woods, Dunker Church, and some cornfields. The cornfield changed hands six times, it was crazy! We had some chances to take control of the battle but dem Union leaders kept getting shot down and it was utter chaos! I got shot once myself, right in the side, and it bit like hell. I got myself up tho and tried to keep control of my troops but there´s only so much a man can do when it´s uttter chao with a bunch o´stinkin teenagers running ´round without the faintest idea what to do. 

Then the battle shifted and them graybacks moved into this ol sunken road. They lined up in it and whenever we tried to approach they would just shoot us down. ¨Bloody Lane" they called it. Said there were ´bout 17,000 casualties just from sunrise to 1:30!  It was a devastating! Lost a few of my own pals in there too. But then all of suden, them graybacks started retreating form that ol road. What was they thinkin?! So we took control of the road but McClellan didn´t capitalize of course. Dang, that man is too cautious for his own good!!! I take bac what I said about how he was promising and inteligent! Psh!

But then we realized that Lee´s right flank was vulnerable so someone sent Burnside to go attack it. But there was one lil problem...they had to cross this lil 12 ft bridge ´cross Antietam Creek to get there! And at the same time they are being shot by dem stinking sharpshooters! I mean honestly, how can u expect to cross a tiny little bridge while being constantly fired at! Well, anyway, finally after 3 bloody attempts, Burnside somehow got some guys across and dem Graybacks had to retreat. 

So now we had the advantage but dem Graybacks were able to regroup because it took Burnside a stinkin 2 hours to get his men across the bridge! That cursed, tiny Bridge! So Lee had time to get reinforcements from A.P. Hill and his men. Heard he made his guys run 17 miles to get there in time! Almost gotta respec the guy for that, not to mention he saved the confederates from gettin slaughtered. McClellan then decided lay off and not attack again. Stupid bastard! We could´ve won the war if it wasn´t for his hesitancy!

I guess you could say we won the battle but to be honest, the victory wasn´t worth its weight in blood. On the brite side, that stupid, idiot, McClellan got fired! Hallelujah! Psh, I hate to say it but I thought he was promising! Ha! 

Well, anyway, I hope all is goin well for you back home. Tell Harriet and the kids I sed hello. I miss 
y´all so much. I can onli pray that this bloody war will be over soon! Sure hope whoever this new General knows how to finish dis thing. I mean, no one could be wurs than McClellan...I hope.

With luv,

Thomas Norton

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1865 Blog:

1865 blog

1864 blog